GOVERNMENT has banned in school holiday lessons to contain the spread of COVID-19 and ensure containment measures are put in place before learners return for the second term.
Schools are set to close for a three-week break on Friday next week before lessons resume on June 28.
The ban, observers said, was likely to affect students who spent the better part of last year at home due to successive COVID-19 lockdowns.
In a circular to school heads, district and provincial education inspectors and directors and teachers’ unions, Primary and Secondary Education permanent secretary Tumisang Thabela said government had not sanctioned in-school holiday lessons as a COVID-19 containment measure.
“This notice serves to advise all primary and secondary schools that in-person holiday lessons for first term holiday have not been authorised in view of the reality of the COVID-19 pandemic and the need for containment measures to be put in place,” Thabela said in the circular dated May 26, 2021.