The Zimbabwe Music Rights Association (Zimura) has released the list of the top 20 highest-earning musicians in terms of royalties disbursed by the organisation.
Zimura is an association of composers and publishers of music that was created to protect the rights of musicians under copyright law. As part of its mandate, Zimura collects the royalties on behalf of the musicians from radio stations that would have played the music. These royalties are disbursed to the artists every year in the month of June according to the airplay that the music received on the stations.
According to Zimura, the organisation collected $23 million in royalties from Star FM, ZiFM and ZBC and the money is being distributed to 3 300 Zimura members. The organisation also collected US$30 810 for disbursement to foreign musicians.
The highest-earning musician received $400 000 (approximately US$4700 on the official market and US$3 300 on the black market) while the lowest-earning musician overall received $12 (approximately US$0.14 on the official market and US$0.10 on the black market).
1) Mukombe Mukudzei aka Jah Prayzah
2) Mtukudzi Oliver
3) Chirumiko Wallace aka Winky D
4) Munhenga Enock aka Ex Q
5) Chizanga Emegy aka Freeman
6) Kusikwenyu Kelvin aka Killer T
7) Shonai Takura Bernard aka Takura
8) Chimbetu Simon
9) Tazvivinga Dembo aka Leonard Dembo
10) Macheso Alick
11) Musaka Soul Muzavazi aka Soul Jah Love
12) Tshuma Lovemore aka Lovemore Majaivana
13) Chiwadzwa Carrington S aka Nutty O
14) Makamure Obey aka Tocky Vibes
15) Skhuza Solomon
16) Majahawodwa Ndlovu aka Jeys Marabini
17) Kawara Alexio
18) Zacharia Nicholas
19) Sizwangendaba Ncube
20) Mupembe Andrew