Africa

UN ‘outraged’ as death toll in Burkina Faso attack rises to 132

 

Gunmen have killed at least 132 people in Burkina Faso’s volatile north, the government said, as the United Nations chief condemned “the heinous attack” and called on countries to step up the fight against “violent extremism”.

 

The assailants struck during the night on Friday, killing residents of the village of Solhan in Yagha province, which borders Niger. They also burned homes and the village market, according to a government statement on Saturday.

The victims included seven children.

 

Another 40 residents were also wounded, government spokesman Ousseni Tamboura told reporters.

 

President Roch Marc Christian Kabore called the killings “barbaric” and said the Burkinabe people “must remain united and solid against these obscurantist forces”.

 

No group has claimed responsibility so far.

 

The overnight assault was the deadliest recorded in years in Burkina Faso.

-Al Jazeera

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button