‘Lack of maintenance caused Mpilo fire’

THE Government has resolved to renovate the Mpilo Central Hospital doctors’ residence that burned down on Wednesday and help affected workers replace destroyed personal belongings and certificates.

During the fire incident- the third in three years- about 39 doctors were forced to escape through a window when fire gutted the building, destroying all their belongings including household property, certificates, food and clothing.

The near-death experience resulted in one of the doctors suffering a broken ankle as he tried to jump out of the two-storey building.

Among those who were thrown out of the blazing fire are children who had to seek alternative accommodation for the night while members of Fire and Ambulance Services battled to put out the fire for hours.

Of those affected are four children, the youngest being 11 months old and oldest being seven years old.
Property worth over US$500 000 was destroyed.

The 1 000-bed public hospital serves Bulawayo Metropolitan Province, Matabeleland North and South, Midlands and Masvingo provinces.

Speaking after touring the gutted building yesterday evening, Health and Child Care Deputy Minister Dr John Mangwiro said the damage was extensive and was a result of lack of maintenance.

Dr Mangwiro was accompanied by Bulawayo Minister for Provincial Affairs and Devolution Judith Ncube, Health Service Board chairperson Dr Paulinus Sikosana and other Government officials.

He said the Government had already applied for the doctors and their dependants to get birth certificates and identity cards replaced.

Dr Mangwiro said their passports will also be sorted on Monday as the Government is committed to ensure their normal life is restored within the shortest period of time.


One Comment

  1. why would the government fail to maintain the buildings at Mpilo and now want compensate the property lost….does it sound sober??? prevention is better than cure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button