Toxic gases kill illegal miners
Two illegal miners died at Sos, Jumbo mine in Mazowe after inhaling toxic gases in a disused shaft where they were panning for gold on Monday.
Silas Makanzi (30) of Kuwadzana 4 Harare and Oliver Ndodo of Chakoma village,Mount Darwin died in a shaft while prospecting for gold.
Mashonaland Central deputy police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Naison Dhliwayo confirmed the case.
“I can confirm a sudden death case in Mazowe were two male adults died after inhaling toxic gases in a disused shaft,” Dhliwayo said.
According to a witness Moses Manyika who was part of the now deceased people , said they were in the same syndicate when they went on the mine to prospect for gold.
“We went to the mine to pan for gold and the duo entered in the shaft while l was on guard outside after some hours l tried to reach out to my colleagues but there was no response,” he said.
“I tried to go inside the shaft but l could not go further due to toxic gases, l then called other illegal gold miners who came with a generator and we cleared the gases.”
“After clearing the gases we managed to retrieve the bodies and sent them to Concession hospital for post mortem,” he added.
Police warned illegal miners to regularise their mining activities and follow safe methods of mining.